Brrr… Save for rainy days when the temperature is higher, I often find myself wrapped in a snuggle blanket this winter. Although a hot cup of tea, coffee, or chocolate certainly helps, a bowl of soup, however, goes a long way. Plus, it serves as a meal. Homemade and nutritious, too.
One of the soups I make that my kids happen to really enjoy is Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup.
- 1 chicken breast
- 250g elbow macaroni or spiral noodles
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cubed
- 125g evaporated milk or fresh milk (whole, lite, or skim) as alternative
- Boil the chicken breast in 2 cups water, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the chicken breast and shred. Set aside.
- Cook the noodles in the chicken broth.
- Add the carrots after 5 minutes.
- Stir and after two minutes, add the evaporated milk.
- Simmer for another 5-7 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Others use bouillion cubes or broth powder, but I personally want meals as organic as possible and avoid sodium, so when I want to add more liquid, I use chicken broth that I saved from another meal and froze. To add more flavour and colour, you can add cubed potatoes, diced ham, or peas.
What’s your favourite homemade soup?